Burberry appoints Dr. Gerry Murphy as Chairman designate
Burberry is pleased to announce that Dr. Gerry Murphy has been appointed to the Board as Chairman designate.
His appointment concludes the process initiated in June 2017 and led by Senior Independent Director Jeremy Darroch to name a successor to Sir John Peace by the end of 2018.
Gerry will start on 17 May and will succeed Sir John as Burberry Chairman after the Company’s annual shareholder meeting on 12 July. Sir John will step down from the role and from the Board on the same date after 16 years.
Gerry is an experienced Chair and senior board member, having served as non-executive director of companies including British American Tobacco plc, Merlin Entertainments plc and Reckitt Benckiser plc.
He is currently Chairman of Tate and Lyle plc and of The Blackstone Group International Partners LLP, Blackstone’s principal European entity. Before joining Blackstone as a senior managing director in its private equity group, he served as CEO of Kingfisher plc, Carlton Communications, Exel plc and Greencore Group plc.
Jeremy Darroch, Senior Independent Director, said:
“We are delighted to welcome Gerry to the Board. His substantial UK plc and global business experience will be a great asset to Burberry as we continue to focus on delivering long-term shareholder value.”
“On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank Sir John for his immense contribution to Burberry over the past 16 years. Sir John has presided over a period of extraordinary change, during which Burberry has enjoyed strong growth and evolved into one of the most valuable luxury brands in the world.”
Gerry Murphy, Chairman designate, commented:
“I am honoured to take up this role and to succeed Sir John as Chairman. Burberry is a unique British brand that I have admired for a long time and I am looking forward to working with Marco Gobbetti and the Board to guide the Company through its next phase of growth.”
Sir John Peace, Chairman, said:
"I would like to thank current and past Board members for their partnership over the past 16 years and Jeremy Darroch for leading the process to find Burberry’s next Chairman. In Gerry Murphy, we have found a superb candidate with extensive experience in the consumer and retail industries. I am confident he is the right choice to lead the Board as Burberry embarks on a new chapter.”
The information communicated herein is inside information.
Charlotte Cowley VP, Investor Relations
020 3367 3234
Andrew Roberts VP, Corporate Relations
020 3367 3764
- Founded in 1856, Burberry is a global luxury brand with a distinctive British identity
- Burberry designs and sources apparel and accessories, selling through a diversified network of retail (including digital), wholesale and licensing channels worldwide
- At 31 December 2017, Burberry globally had 205 retail stores, 199 concessions, 57 outlets and 47 franchise stores
- Burberry is headquartered in London. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange (BRBY.L) and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index. Its ADR symbol is OTC:BURBY
- BURBERRY, the Equestrian Knight Device and the Burberry Check are trademarks belonging to Burberry that are registered and enforced worldwide