‘To me, this presentation really represents the freedom of our imaginations: how we dream to come alive. I wanted to move through a series of immersive spaces, each of them unique and unexpected in their sound, texture and experience. It’s that idea of flicking between the endless realities and fantasies we have at our fingertips each day.
This is for my mother, Elmerinda, and to a journey full of new possibilities.’
Riccardo Tisci, Chief Creative Officer
The iconic Burberry trench coat is deconstructed and rebuilt in strong and striking silhouettes that experiment and play with volume. Styles in a blend of classic Burberry gabardine and textural linen cotton are cropped at the back to reveal swimsuits animated with abstract prints. Signature outerwear in soft fawn and dark biscuit shades is transformed through daring detailing, from exaggerated lapels to chain-link embellishments, sleeveless proportions to raw hems. A sense of fluidity is brought to the trench and car coat through fluted and oversized sleeves on collarless and hooded shapes, plus capelets that are perforated or trimmed with leather – reinvigorating the traditional with a twist of youthful energy.
A kaleidoscope of geometric and experimental abstract prints – evoking the flowing forms of camouflage – and the ‘Universal Passport’ graphic adorn dresses and shirts, layered under printed sheer or mesh tops to create new harmonies of pattern. Geometric colour-block intarsia and prints on dresses and oversized sleeveless blazers.
Freedom of movement is explored though flowing cap-sleeved and halterneck gowns with thigh-high splits. Mini dresses are adorned with sweeping exaggerated fringing, frills and straps, and paired with juxtaposing oversized jackets.
An unstructured approach to British tailoring sees boxy-fit blazers reworked in sleeveless and backless cuts. Lapels are reconstructed as scarves to wrap over the shoulder. A chest plate with boned corsetry is subversively recast in smooth leather or as a hoodie in technical neoprene with a peplum hem.
In contrast to the oversized proportions, there are sexy figure-hugging silhouettes in stretch technical fabrications – exuding a mood of confidence that underpins the looks and elevates stand-alone pieces. Vivid and light bodysuits and leggings are layered with tactile mohair-blend capelets and animal-inspired fringing – challenging the conventional. Long-sleeved tops and leggings with porthole cut-outs and chain-link details. Off-the-shoulder ribbed knitwear is worn with crop tops with cut-out details, and stirrup leggings with seam details and toe loops. A bodysuit in crystal net and tulle.
Introducing the Rhombi, a new ellipse-shaped shoulder bag inspired by the abstract curved prints in the collection. The structured shape is sculpted to the body and features a lightly padded strap with an oversized clasp detail. Presented in a smooth leather in soft fawn and black, and in coated canvas in birch brown check. Inspired by the iconic trench coat, a style in cotton gabardine features signature double stitching. Clutch iterations include black leather with ring-pierced details or metallic fringing, both with an oversized clasp handle. Joining the style is a cut-out Thomas Burberry Monogram in quilted nappa leather in black and soft fawn.
The Olympia bag evolves. A signature style for the house, it has a crescent curve and an athletic aura which is developed for this season in a softer shape in leather, with a circular strap.
Square-toe calf leather sandals, with and without a toe-ring detail, feature a press-stud T-bar and buckled ankle strap – a minimalist style to leave feet bare. Set on a slim high heel or a flat leather sole in black, white and soft fawn. The simple shape also comes as an exaggerated over-the-knee sock boot with an open toe, in black.
Conceptual shaped panels in neoprene, leather and layered tulle are fixed to cotton baseball caps. Thick, soft leather chokers with porthole details in black and soft fawn.
Palladium-plated rings and toe rings are worn in multiples with concealed double-finger bands creating the appearance of floating crystal embellishments and chain links. Leather and palladium-plated clasps become hoop earrings, and the signature buckled belt from the trench coat is reworked as a bracelet in black leather with ring-pierced details.
Abstract shapes are layered in vivid tones or mirrored in monochrome. Tortoiseshell and camouflage prints provide a complement. The ‘Universal Passport’ design is reconstructed and stretched.
Neutral shades of soft fawn and Burberry beige with rich dark birch brown, warm walnut, black and white. Accents of bubblegum pink, plus yellow, orange and red in prints.
NOTES TO EDITORS
ABOUT THE CREATIVE TEAM
- Styling: Katy England
- Make-up: Isamaya Ffrench, Burberry Global Beauty Director
- Hair: Jawara
- Choreography: Josh Johnson and Marquet Lee
- Director: Partel Oliva
ABOUT THE MUSIC
- Ascension’ by Slikback
ABOUT THE MODELS
- We believe it is important to celebrate diversity in our campaigns and shows, and we have measures in place to ensure we assemble casts that are representative of our customers and communities.
- Models that walked in the Spring/Summer 2022 womenswear presentation include Anita Pozzo, Briana Smith, Candice Swanepoel, Chai Maximus, Chisom Okeke, Chu Wong, Claire Delozier, Cyrielle Lalande, Evie Harris, Felice Noordhoff, Flavie Sammartano, Fran Summers, Frankie Rayder, Genevieve Amobi, Hannah Motler, Irina Shayk, Joan Smalls, Karo Laczkowska, Kate McNamara, Kateryna Lashko, Kayako Higuchi, Laura Helene, Loli Bahia, Maria Cosima, Maria Keidj, Mariacarla Boscono, Marina Nechyporuk, Martina Biondino, Maty Fall, Mayowa Nicholas, Mika Schneider, Mona Tougaard, Morgane Stengel, Nyasha Matonhodze, Paula Rudevica, Rachelle Harris, Renata Scheffer, Rianne Van Rompaey, Sacha Quenby, Sol Jeong, Valeria Buldini, Vira Boshkova, Yilan Hua.
ABOUT THE BURBERRY SPRING/SUMMER 2022 WOMENSWEAR PRESENTATION
- Burberry invited all guests to experience the presentation digitally.
- Only essential members of the production team were on set, reducing the size of the overall cast. Strict health and safety measures were in place, including daily COVID-19 testing, mandatory mask usage, clear social distancing markers and barriers in place, and enhanced cleaning of the location and equipment.
- All aspects of the performance were designed to maintain social distancing. • Burberry engaged an external health and safety adviser to ensure that the shoot and presentation preparation locations were COVID-19 secure and carefully monitored at all times.
Carbon neutral events
- This presentation will be certified carbon neutral. To achieve this, measures will be taken to reduce the environmental impact of the event before offsetting any remaining emissions through Burberry’s Regeneration Fund.
- Through the Burberry Regeneration Fund, Burberry supports a portfolio of carbon insetting and offsetting projects mapped to the footprint of its business.
- Supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals, these programmes are helping restore natural habitats and biodiversity, improving carbon capture and enhancing local communities with skills and training.
Burberry’s climate strategy
- Burberry’s ambition is to be Climate Positive by 2040, going further than net-zero by investing in key initiatives that support wider climate change efforts beyond its value chain.
- Underpinning this pledge is a series of commitments, including cutting emissions across Burberry’s extended supply chain by 46 per cent by 2030 and developing projects which support others in their own carbon journeys.
- Burberry is on track to achieve its goal to be carbon neutral in its own operational energy use by 2022, as well as use 100 per cent renewable energy across its own operations in the same time frame.
- In September 2020, Burberry became the first of its luxury peers to issue a sustainability bond, enlisting the support of investors in delivering its sustainability goals.
- Burberry is a global luxury brand headquartered in London, UK.
- Founded in 1856, Burberry is listed on the London Stock Exchange (BRBY.L) and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index.
- BURBERRY, the Equestrian Knight Device, the Burberry check and the Thomas Burberry Monogram and print are trademarks belonging to Burberry.
- For more news visit www.burberryplc.com