‘It was important for me to explore what it means to belong, how our roots influence our identity and how the power of community and togetherness is what truly brings meaning to the world. Therefore, I wanted this collection to convey that intensity of feeling and to celebrate not only coming together, but the city in which we come together today; the city in which Burberry grew and established a family. To me, London is a place of dreams, a capital building on its heritage and unified by its diverse community and an attitude of moving beyond boundaries – of pursuing limitless potential. The collection embodies an intangible essence that is Britishness, a unique fusion of honouring the beauty of the past, whilst also remaining focussed on the future with thankfulness, hope and love.’
Riccardo Tisci, Chief Creative Officer
Today, Burberry unveiled its Autumn/Winter 2022 collection in an event that marked the first live runway show for the brand in two years.
A celebration of British culture, the show explores the multiple perspectives and dualities that constitute British identity. Contrasting city with country, pageantry with punk, it explores the concept of Britishness not as a fixed idea, but as an attitude: forward-thinking, adventurous, embracing potential. Inspired by London – the brand’s creative and spiritual home for over 130 years – the show captures a British essence that Burberry continues to embody. A family to which the house belongs.
Building on the brand’s rich history and house codes, the womenswear and menswear collections offer a playful twist on tradition, a reconstruction of heritage. Contrasting elements of regalia with subcultural influences, classic British conventions and hallmarks of the house are explored in fresh iterations, fabrications and silhouettes. Filled with autumnal hues scattered with effervescent crystals inspired by evenings in the British countryside, the collections highlight revived icons from the Burberry archive, including the Equestrian Knight Design and oak leaf crest, as well as a revolutionary take on the classic trench.
Presented in the heart of the city at Central Hall Westminster, the collection was unveiled in a vast theatre, featuring a historic domed ceiling and a grand organ as its backdrop. Dressed in Burberry’s signature brown hue, the floor of the venue’s Great Hall was transformed into a resplendent private dining room. Commencing in darkness, the show opened with models descending the stairwells, weaving through the audience and onto illuminated high-top tables. Accompanied by a live performance from the London Contemporary Orchestra of works by Max Richter and Michael Nyman, the hearts of the audience were reflected in the voices of a one-hundred-person choir.
Curated for an intimate audience, guests that attended the show included Adam Driver, Adekunle Gold, Anne Imhof, Blondey McCoy, Carla Bruni, Davido, Dixie D’Amelio, Eiza Gonzalez, Eliza Douglas, Headie One, Honey Dijon, Jacob Elordi, Jaime Xie, Jodie Harsh, Kate Moss, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Marina Ruy Barbosa, Meridian Dan, Naomi Campbell, Rebecca Hall, Role Model, Slim Soledad and Simone Ashley.
Both new faces as well as established Burberry models walked the show, with special appearances including highly esteemed Italian singer-songwriter Mahmood, British professional boxer Richard Riakporhe, film director Jared Buckheister and musician Andrew Vvarholla. Models from the Burberry family across menswear included Khalil, Matteo, Miles, Nozomu, Reece and Sacha. Models across womenswear included Anita, Anok, Bella, Felice, Fran, Gigi, Irina, Kayako, Lea, Ladyfag, Loli, Mayowa, Mariacarla, Mona, Saskia, Stella, Sora and Xue.
Burberry’s Autumn/Winter 2022 runway show will be certified as carbon neutral and the house has taken measures to reduce environmental impact in the first instance and then offset the carbon emissions associated with the show.
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Burberry is a global luxury brand, headquartered in London, UK.
Founded in 1856, Burberry is listed on the London Stock Exchange (BRBY.L.) and is constituent of the FTSE 100 index.
- BURBERRY, the Equestrian Knight Device, the Burberry check and the Thomas Burberry Monogram and print are trademarks belonging to Burberry.
- The Equestrian Knight Device is a design that was created as part of a public competition in circa 1901. The emblem depicts a knight on horseback holding a flag with the word ‘Prorsum’, Latin for ‘Forwards’ and symbolising the brand’s direction of travel. The knight represents honour, the lance reform and the armour protection.
- For more news: www.burberryplc.com
ABOUT THE CREATIVE TEAM: WOMENSWEAR
- Styling: Ana Steiner
- Make-up: Dame Pat McGrath
- Hair: Guido Palau
- Casting: Patrizia Pilotti
ABOUT THE CREATIVE TEAM: MENSWEAR
- Styling: IB Kamara
- Make-up: Isamaya Ffrench
- Hair: Jawara
- Casting: Federica Mennea
ABOUT THE PRODUCTION TEAM
- Production: Gainsbury & Whiting
- Director: Partel Oliva
- Lighting: Thierry Dreyfus
ABOUT THE MUSIC
The Autumn/Winter 2022 show was accompanied by a live orchestral performance from the London Contemporary Orchestra performing works by Max Richter, Philip Glass and Michael Nyman under the guidance of Conductor and Artistic Director Robert Ames. The compositions were selected by Chief Creative Officer Riccardo Tisci, Music Supervisor Bridget Samuels and Conductor and Artistic Director Robert Ames.
“Summer 2” Composed by Max Richter Published by Mute Song Limited Performed by London Contemporary Orchestra
“Vessels” Composed by Philip Glass Published by Chester Music Limited Performed by London Contemporary Orchestra
“November” Composed by Max Richter Published by Mute Song Limited Performed by London Contemporary Orchestra
“Timelapse” Composed by Michael Nyman
© Copyright 1985 Chester Music Limited. This arrangement
© Copyright 2022 Chester Music Limited. All Rights Reserved. International Copyright Secured. Used by permission of Chester Music Limited. Performed by London Contemporary Orchestra
ABOUT THE MODELS
- For the womenswear collection, models that walked the Autumn/Winter 2022 show included Abney, Africa, Anita, Anok Yai, Anyiang, Avanti, Bella Hadid, Chai, Chisom, Chu Wong, Claire, Eleonore, Eline, Ella Richards, Emily B, Emily K, Evie, Felice Noordhoff, Flavie, Fran Summers, Gigi Hadid, Grace, Greta, Irina Shayk, Kai, Karo, Kayako, Ladyfag, Lea T, Lina, Loli, Lottie, Louise, Lou Lou, Mariacarla Boscono, Marin, Margo, Mayowa Nicholas, Mila, Mina, Mona Tougaard, Nikita, Paula, Renata, Riahn, Sacha, Saskia De Brauw, Selena Forrest, Sherry, Sora Choi, Stella Maxwell, Steinberg, Suza, Tara Halliwell, Xue, Yilan.
- For the menswear collection, models that walked the Autumn/Winter 2022 show included Adama, Alvaro Silveira, Andrew Vvarholla, Anis, Ash, Ben Gibson, Biliew, Brandon, Cam Hicks, Charles, Delfin, Erwan, Fares, Federico Cajani, George Saunders, Guido, Jared Buckhiester, Justice, Keone, Kevin Portillo, Khalil, Saaba, Sacha, Mahmood, Malik Johnson, Matteo, Maxime, Miles, Moses, Niclas, Nozomu, Rafael, Reece, Reid, Richard Riakporhe, Samyr, Tommy Clasper and Wang Xiangguo.
ABOUT RESPONSIBILITY AT BURBERRY
Carbon Neutral Events
- To support Burberry’s ambition to achieve a net-zero future, this presentation as well as all Burberry events, will be certified carbon neutral. To achieve this, measures will be taken to reduce the environmental impact of the event before offsetting any remaining emissions through Burberry’s Regeneration Fund.
- Through the Burberry Regeneration Fund, Burberry supports a portfolio of carbon insetting and offsetting projects mapped to the footprint of its business.
- Supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals, these programmes are helping restore natural habitats and biodiversity, improving carbon capture and enhancing local communities with skills and training.